Firstly, I applaud you for landing on this page, what a great idea to give a winery experience as a gift to your loved one! At Gifting Owl, we too suffer from a severe case of Winederlust; a strong desire to drink all of the wine, all over the globe. With that in mind, we decided to dedicate this blog to our favourite wine destinations, along with the special occasions we think are perfect to gift a vineyard or winery experience.
Our Favourite Wine Destinations
- The Hunter Valley
It’s 120+ wineries and vineyards and easy access from Sydney CBD makes the Hunter Valley one of Australia's most popular wine regions. With a variety of local produce including olives, chocolates and cheeses to accompany the amazing wine, it’s no wonder it has ranked so high on our list of favourites.
- Yarra Valley
Just one hour south of Melbourne you’ll find the cool climate wine country of the Yarra Valley. While it’s diverse climate and soil produces a variety of award winning wines, it is most famous for producing Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.
Our favourite Yarra Valley experience pictured above incorporates two of our favourite things, alcohol and adventure! This makes a perfect gift for you and your partner to enjoy together, or to give to the loved-up couple in your life.
- Barossa Valley, Adelaide Hills, McLaren Vale and Clare Valley
South Australia is home to an impressive 18 wine regions including the Barossa Valley, McLaren Vale, Clare Valley and the Adelaide Hills. Indulge in world-class red wine in the Barossa Valley, or a glass of Chardonnay in McLaren Vale if white is your preferred drop.
It’s no wonder South Australia’s 18 famous wine regions bring in millions of visitors every year. The perfect region for a girls trip or group getaway, check out our winery and vineyard experiences in South Australia.
- Margaret River, Swan Valley & the Perth Hills
Heading over to the west coast now and we find ourselves absolutely spoilt for choice. Western Australia is blessed with several incredible wine regions including Margaret River, Swan Valley, the Perth Hills and more!
It may seem we are a bit biased toward our home grown wines here in Australia (guilty!). But we couldn’t possibly leave out the famous Margaret River. If you love warm weather and wineries surrounded by beautiful beaches, this is the wine region for you.
- New Zealand Vineyards
Last but not certainly not least, we couldn’t go past spectacular New Zealand white wine. New Zealand most famous wine regions include Marlborough, Hawke’s Bay and Napier. These regions are arguably situated in the most spectacular locations, surrounded by rolling green hills and scenery as far as the eye can see. The scenery is so spectacular, you’ll feel like you jumped straight onto the set of The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings.
The Perfect Winery-Gifting Occasions
(Voted by us... Still counts.)
1. Anniversary Gifts: Surprise your other half with a weekend away in one of our favourite wine regions listed above and you won’t be able to wipe the smile off their face! A weekend away with your partner, in a beautiful location, with amazing wine, what more couple you ask for?
2 . Group Getaways: Looking for somewhere special to celebrate a hens party or a milestone birthday? Look no further! Gather your girlfriends and start planning a wine-filled weekend of fun.
3. 21st Birthdays: A wine tasting experience makes a great gift for a significant birthday like a 21st. They’re interested in learning more about wine, and I’m sure they’d be happy for you to join in on the fun!
4. Mother’s Day: Does you Mum also enjoy a sneaky glass (or bottle) of wine? Why not book the perfect mother-daughter/mother-son day out at a local winery this Mother’s Day? The one thing she’ll love more than the delicious wine, is spending time with you!
5. Wedding Gifts: If you’re sick of giving the traditional wedding gifts (homewares and WAY more crockery than one would ever need), than a romantic vineyard experience may just be the perfect gift to give the newlyweds.
So there you have it, we’ve listed our favourite wine destinations in Australia and New Zealand. We hope you agree with our choices. If not, we’ll be happy to do some extra wine tasting to be sure!
If you’re looking elsewhere around the world, there are plenty more epic wine destinations listed in our winery and vineyard category. And if you’re not sure which experience to choose for the lucky gift recipient, check out our gift vouchers page and give them a gift card instead. Happy gifting (and wine drinking)!