The happy graduate has worked so hard to get here, and you’re really proud of them. As they get excited for the next adventure that awaits them, the perfect graduation gift may be just that! An adventure.
Whether they’re taking a travelling gap year, moving overseas to play rugby or taking an extended overseas holiday after graduating, you’re in the right place. In this article, we’ve explained why we think travelling is SO important to do while you’re young. We also let you know how you can help contribute to travel experiences they’ll remember forever.
Gap Year Gifts
Why are travelling gap years becoming so popular?
- Travelling is more accessible and affordable than ever.
- FOMO. After study comes a career and a family. Grads don’t want to miss their opportunity to travel while they’re free of responsibilities and obligations.
- Graduates are taking the time to have a break and figure out what they really want. A sensible decision, when you consider the cost of college and university. More experiences will open them up to different career journeys and opportunities.
- More bright-eyed and bushy-tailed grads are coming out of university than ever before and it's actually beneficial to be that little bit older and experienced when you graduate your degree.
Other than the obvious benefits listed above, travelling is also one of the best learning experiences you can have. It teaches you how to adapt to different situations, how to understand different cultures and how to be more tolerant, independent and confident. See more benefits of taking a gap year here.
What gift to give when you don’t know where they’ll be?
Your grad doesn’t know where they’ll end up, but they’ll want to spend as much time as they can abroad. Not knowing how long they’ll be gone or what country they’ll be in can make this gift a tricky one to buy.
That’s where we come in. Our gift vouchers are the perfect global gift idea. Simply choose the amount you want to gift and they can choose their adventure, no matter where they are in the world. Yes, you heard us right. Gifting Owl vouchers are valid in 103 countries, and chances are they’ll be landing in one of those!
If you want to give something a little more personal, you can choose from any of the thousands of experiences listed. If they love good Italian wine, you can gift an Italian vineyard tour! If they don’t end up travelling to Italy to go on your wine tasting experience, they can use it in another country instead. All experience gifts are fully exchangeable, so you don’t need to worry about when and where they’ll be in a particular location.
Add to Their Trip of a Lifetime
Unfortunately, I didn’t do a gap year. However, I was lucky enough to travel to America after graduating university over Christmas and New Year. Before getting tied down with work and new business, I decided to take off for a month. I had just turned 21 and was in New York with three of my best friends. This was the dream trip I had worked so hard for.
One of my combined graduation and 21st birthday gifts was an experience to enjoy on my trip. It was the best gift I’ve ever received - a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon! The trip was already an expensive one, and there was no way that as a new graduate, I could have afforded an experience like this for myself.
^ Photographic evidence of my favourite gift - just a month after graduating!
If the graduate in mind is planning a trip of a lifetime, I would highly recommend an experience they can enjoy on their holiday. If they’re like me, they’ll be thanking you for it for years to come!
If my helicopter gift inspired you, I’ve listed a few more grand gift ideas of a similar nature below:
- Skydiving: An epic experience to do in an iconic place while you’re travelling, but often a bit too pricey on a backpackers budget.
- Bungy Jumping: Again, another one that is often a must-do experience for any twenty-something that loves an adrenaline rush
- Diving: Let’s be clear, you absolutely cannot let them go to a tropical destination without really exploring the reef!
- Broadway tickets: If like me, they’re heading to the Big Apple, this is a must do NYC experience.
- A night in a luxury hotel: If they’re well acquainted with shared hostel bathrooms and wearing earplugs and eye masks to bed then there is really no better gift. A night of luxury in their very own hotel room!
Help them discover a new hobby or learn a new skill
After graduating it’s common to feel a little bit lost. It’s a big change in your life, going from studying around the clock to not studying at all. This is why we think taking up a new hobby or learning a new skill is so important after graduating.
We’ve listed some of our favourite options below:
- Surfing: Definitely a favourite in the Gifting Owl office. If the happy grad is heading somewhere oceanside, why not gift them their very first surfing lesson? You never know, they may just become the next Steph Gilmore!
- Pottery or painting: Depending on what you study, often there isn’t much time to let your creative flag fly. Tactile creative hobbies are very on trend right now. Exploring painting or pottery will be a great experience that could also become a lifelong hobby.
- Cooking classes: A necessary skill to have, that will only become more obvious when you graduate college. We recommend an authentic culinary experience, which will teach the graduate how to cook a traditional meal with a local while they’re travelling.
- Learn an instrument: If they’ve always wanted to learn guitar, piano or any other instrument then why not gift them their first couple of lessons to get them started?
A Max-Relax Retreat
After a solid 13-20 years of studying there is no doubt that the grad is due for a little R&R. Booking a weekend away for you both to enjoy is a great gift for the two of you or group of you. We suggest checking out our favourite winery and vineyard blog, for ideas of how to incorporate plenty of wine into your getaway!
The Travel Essentials
I guess we better not JUST talk about all the amazing global experiences on Gifting Owl. Here are some more essential travel items you could gift to the graduate to use on their journey.
1. Luggage: A good quality suitcase or backpack.
2. Camera: Pics or it didn’t happen. Am I right?!
3. A Portable Charger: How are you supposed to follow their travels if they can’t post about them?
4. Soundproof Headphones: Essential for a good night's sleep on the plane.
5. A Silk Eyemask: 100% pure mulberry silk for a touch of luxury on their adventure.
There you have it! Plenty of gift ideas for every budget for the recent graduate in your life.
Click here to search all Gifting Owl graduate gifts.